Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Driving My Truck/Daily Routine

As I walk to my truck, I can feel it.  I can feel that lump of keys in my pocket poking and prodding my leg.  When I pull them out I'm relieved, but be careful not to scratch the amazingly nice paint for a truck from 1993.   I sit in the bucket seat and fasten my belt.  I love to drive, albeit my truck is not the cream of the crop.  The keys jingle and the digital dash lights up the cab.  Gas is full, battery is at 14 volts, oil pressure is good, temperature is cold, but warming up.  It is not a V8, i desperately wish it were, but I can feel and hear all 262ci.  Tap the gas and I hear the low rumble of 200 ponies coming from the big 4.3 Vortec six-shooter (V6).  Push the gas pedal and feel the torque burn rubber at 5000 rpms on the dry pavement.  Be careful on the wet ground or you'll be sideways.  It may be 16 years old, but it definately has the power to surprise.  It'll put you back in your seat like some V8's I know.  Restraining myself from all that is hard, because its so much fun, but its hard on the ol' gal.  Repairs are a bitch and the prices are astronomical.  New alternator last week: $310.  So when the light turns green, I just ease into it.  When the speed limit is 35, I go no faster than 40.  Ha, my two speeding tickets can account for such mild driving.  I love to drive fast, but I know when and where.  The thrill, the restraint, the agitation at traffic and construction, hearing my favorite music, etc.  Its all going through my mind when I am driving.    

No comments:

Post a Comment